Independent Study PE (ISPE)
Independent Study Physical Education (ISPE)Independent Study PE is a voluntary alternative instructional program in which students work independently, according to a written agreement, and under the general supervision of a credentialed teacher. Students participating in Independent Study PE are required to meet the same academic standards as classroom-based students and must adhere to EC sections 51222, 51225.3, 51241, and 60800, the latter requiring all students in grade nine to be tested in the state’s physical performance test (FITNESSGRAM®)
To qualify for enrollment in ISPE, the student:
- must be enrolled in grades 10–12
- must not have completed the twenty (20) semester units of physical education required for graduation from the Los Gatos-Saratoga Union High School District
- must be competing at a state or national level* and must provide documented evidence of participation in state/national competitions or performances, OR
- must be performing in an individual sport at an advanced level of skill at the state or national level and must provide documented evidence of participation in state/national competitions or performances
- must participate in an approved ISPE program for 17 weeks per semester, for a total of 170 hours, under the supervision of the Sponsoring Agency
- must keep a weekly attendance log that accurately accounts for hours of participation and activities, which is signed at the conclusion of each semester by the Sponsoring Agency, the student and the student’s parent/guardian and is submitted to the student’s Guidance Office by the date designated in the acceptance letter for ISPE.
Spring term 2023-24 applications are due on or before Sunday, January 7, 2024. Send completed applications via email (email@example.com) or drop off in the main school office during regular hours, Attn: Registrar.
The completed application must include:
- signatures of the student, parent, and authorized representative of the supervising agency, AND
- documented evidence of participation in state or national or international competitions or performances
After administrative review, students are formally notified of the decision, usually by the 2nd or 3rd week of the term.
ISPE Contract and Application
This document contains both the program explanation as well as the ISPE agreement and application.
Approved students: To obtain Fall term 23-24 course credit, return the completed Activity Log no later than noon Wednesday, December 20, 2023. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or deliver in-person to the main office, attention: Registrar
Fall term 23-24 Activity Log
via email: email@example.com
deliver in-person to the main SHS office, attention: Registrar