SoundingsSoundings is the literary magazine of Saratoga High School; published annually in the spring, it showcases student fiction, poetry, and photography. If you are an SHS student and would like to submit a piece to be considered for this year's edition, check back here in January for detailed submission information.
- Letters About Literature: Sponsored by the Center for the Book, this competition asks the student to write a letter to the author of a book that in some way influenced or made an impact on the student's life. SHS students have done very well in this competition, even taking the state and national prizes.
- John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay: The John F. Kennedy Library Foundation invites U.S. high school students to write an essay on an act of political courage by a U.S. elected official. For contest information, registration, and to submit your essay click on link.
- Saratoga High participates in the National History Day competition. See Mr. Heyman or Mr. Torrens for categories or go to the school's History Day link. Great opportunities for creative writing.
- Sierra Nevada College High School Writing Competition: Open to Juniors and Seniors. Poetry, Fiction, Non-fiction categories. Original, unpublished work only. Coversheet required. See www.sierranevada.edu/writer for more details, $100.00 prize. No restrictions on subject, style, or length of submission. Submissions open every September and close in late November/early December.
- Young Voices of America - Emerging Writers Short Story Contest. Let your creativity shine. You choose the subject and let your imagination run wild. Sci-Fi, Humor, Drama, Historical Fiction, Romance, Children's Story, Family Life, etc. all welcome. Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation all count.