Skip To Main Content

Work Permits

SHS Work Permit Banner

Work Permits

All minors who wish to work must have a valid work permit issued by their school of residence. Once students graduate from high school OR turn 18 (whichever comes first) they no longer need a work permit.

Permits for summertime work expire 5 days after the start of the new school year. If you plan to continue working during the school year, you will need a new permit following the same procedures below.

Typical processing time is 1-2 business days.

Summer: Summer office hours and staffing are variable.  Please call ahead on the main school number (408-867-3411) and make an appointment before stopping by the school.
Steps to Apply for a Work Permit1) Complete the work permit application. Be sure to include your social security number.
2) Bring the completed application in-person to the SHS main office during regular office hours.
3) The student will be contacted to come to the school office for signature on the finalized permit. The student will leave with the signed work permit and a copy of the application.
4) The work permit needs to be delivered to your employer. Keep the copy of the application for your records.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I qualify for a work permit?

  1. You must have good attendance (no more than 6 absences (excused or unexcused) from any 2 classes)

  2. You must have good grades (no failing grades and at least a 2.0)

  3. You must have also a social security number to indicate that you have the legal right to work in the United States.

For more detailed information about qualifications for a work permit, please see District BP 5113.2 (Work Permits)

What if I have 2 or more different jobs?

  1. A separate work permit is required for each employer. By law each employer must have a copy of your work permit on file where you work.

  2. Across all of your jobs, you are not allowed to work more cumulative hours than specified by law for a student of your age.

How can I get a work permit issued or renewed during the school year?

  1. Follow the steps above Steps to Apply for a Work Permit.

What if I've graduated from high school but I'm not yet 18?

  1. Once a minor is no longer subject to the state’s compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state’s child labor laws and is not required to obtain a work permit (LC Section 1286[c]). California’s compulsory school attendance law requires a person to attend school until he/she is eighteen years of age, or has graduated from high school, or has passed the High School Proficiency Examination.

  2. However, under federal law (29 CFR Section 570.121), Certificates of Age are required for all employed minors under the age of 18 which may be satisfied with the top portions of the work permit application (CDE Form B1-1) (5 CCR Section 10120.1). source:

If you still have questions, please email the SHS Guidance office.