Introduction to Engineering Design (IED)
- This course is an introduction to the design and building of real objects.
- Students learn 3D visualization, accurate measurements, and how objects are designed to perform specific functions.
- The teaching of drafting principles is taught in conjunction with hands-on projects. Major projects include the design and printing of an original Lego piece and the design, printing, and racing of a CO2 cartridge car built for speed.
- Use of the 3D modeling software, Autodesk Inventor Professional, is integral to the design process and to the teaching of drafting principles.
- Designs are built using machine tools (drill press and milling machine) and 3D printers (Makerbot and Makergear M2).
Prerequisites: Completion of Algebra 1.