Check out this list of area Service Organizations that need volunteers, and make a difference in your community today! This guide gives a wide range of volunteer opportunities from animal care, food and meal programs to health and arts, with contacts, websites and phone numbers provided for most listings.
Also attached is an additional list of area volunteer opportunities and their webpages.
If you would like to get further support in finding a volunteer or Service Learning opportunity that is right for you, contact Tim Galleher the SHS Service Learning Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use the SHS Community Service Form 2015-16 to track your volunteer hours and to get more information about obtaining volunteer service recognition at graduation.
Another great way to be engaged in your community is to GET OUT AND VOTE!! If you are 18 or will be turning 18 this year you can easily register online to vote at www.RegisterToVote.ca.gov
Please see additional information below on current volunteer opportunities:
- Los Gatos Saratoga Recreation Volunteers are needed to work as Teaching Assistants with younger students in enrichment or academic summer school classes for four weeks this summer at either a local elementary or middle school. Volunteers will assist teachers in preparing materials for the class, maintaining a safe and fun learning environment, and facilitating small group activities. The program runs June 19 - July 14. Applications are posted at lgsrecreeation.org. The deadline to apply is MAY 22.
- AYSO Soccer Volunteers Needed Are you 18 years old and enjoy working with kids? If so, please consider volunteering to teach soccer through AYSO. If you are interested, please contact Gary Hovey at (408) 857-9317 for more details.
- JCC Fund and Sports with Friends (JCC Los Gatos) Sunday, March 26th 11:0 am - 1:00 pm. Looking for volunteers who will be paired with a child with special needs to help them participate in sports activities including baseball, basketball and soccer. Sign up online at www.apjcc.org/sportsday. Questions? Contact Josh at email@example.com or 408-357-7447. (See flyer below.)
- The Terraces of Los Gatos (800 Blossom Hill Road) is looking for volunteers to do various activities such as singing, reading, arts and crafts, gardening, etc. with their residents. Volunteer opportunities are available 7 days a week from 10 am to 7 pm year round. If interested please e-mail or call Natalie Meeks at firstname.lastname@example.org or 408-357-1179
- Fellowship Plaza Senior Citizen Retirement Home, Saratoga: Volunteer high school students are needed to assist senior residents learn computer skills and help them go online or learn more about their laptops, iPads, tablets, etc. Bilingual students are also much appreciated to serve their diversified community of English, Mandarin, Persian, Korean and Russian speaking residents. If you would like to volunteer call the Fellowship Plaza office at 408-867-1105 and leave your name and number for Mia or Susan, who will call you back to set up a schedule based on your availability.
- Good Samaritan Hospital - If you are interested in volunteering at Good Sam, call the Junior Auxiliary at 408-559-2345 to have an application packet mailed to your home. Students are now placed as needed on a monthly basis throughout the year. You can check the website also for updates at www.goodsamsanjose.com
- Cystic Fibrosis Research located in Mountainview funds research, provides educational and personal support and spreads awareness of cystic firbrosis. This non-profit organization has volunteer opportunities for students. For more information call 650-404-9975 or go to www.CFRI.org
- Our City Forest: Volunteers are needed for planting, outreach and general duties. For more information go to www.ourcityforest.org or call 408-998-7337.
- West Valley Community Services: Many volunteer opportunities are available at this private, non-profit community based agency in Cupertino that provides a continuum of basic needs, family support services, housing resources and case management to low-income or homeless clients. Please see the attached flyer below for more information. www.wvcommunityservices.org